your mail

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Thu Feb 19 17:08:57 PST 2004

Matthew Seaman wrote:

>On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 02:02:32PM -0800, Matthew, Kristina and Ethan wrote:
>

>>i have a mac osx machine and a freebsd 4.4 machine
>>connected via a crossover cable for a small network.
>>i have been able to figure out NFS, Apache, FTP etc.
>>and so far it's really fun.  what i'd like to be able
>>to do is as follows:
>>
>>i have a modem on my bsd box and it connects via ppp
>>to a dial-up isp.  i would like to configure such that
>>when i request an internet site from my mac, the bsd
>>box dials up the isp and acts as a gateway until i'm
>>done online, then disconnects...
>>
>>is this possible, is it really complicated?
>>

>It's certainly possible, and it's not too difficult.  Start by setting
>up PPP on the FreeBSD box -- there's plenty of examples and howtos
>around to help you do that, particularly:
>
>    ppp(8)
>
>    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/userppp.html
>
>    /usr/share/examples/ppp
>
>I recommend you use the user-mode PPP if you're just using a standard
>POTS dialup.  You will want to use the ppp -nat command line option.

She probably also wants "-auto" if she wants the FBSD
box to dial on request, etc.  <I don't do it that way, though.>

IIRC, when I tried, the clients timed out before the ISP
link came up on the FBSD box, so she may need to adjust
settings on the Mac to allow for longer timeouts.

I did find the handbook's PPP section quite helpful, though.

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.