mkisofs vs large files

Chris Meyers chris at hddesign.com
Wed Feb 18 08:47:28 PST 2004

I am running 5.1-RELEASE-p2 with dvd+rw-tools version 5.17.4.8.6 and
mkisofs version 2.0.3_1 and I'm having some problems with mkisofs and
files larger than 2GB. Basically what I am trying to do is backup some
database dumps to a dvd. Everything was working fine until the dumps got
larger than 2 Gigs. Now I get this message when I try to use growisofs:

% growisofs -dry-run -Z /dev/cd0 -R -J bkupdir
Executing 'mkisofs -R -J feb8 | builtin_dd of=/dev/pass0 obs=32k seek=0'
mkisofs: Value too large to be stored in data type. File
bkupdir/large-file-20040208.sql.gz is too large - ignoring
Total translation table size: 0
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 169
Total directory bytes: 0
Path table size(bytes): 10

I have looked around and found some articles and emails that say the
mkisofs has a 2 gig limit in some circumstances, but I have also seen
articles and emails that say this shouldn't be the case on FreeBSD or
when dvd+rw-tools is installed.

The man page for mkisofs gives a -split-output option which I tried in
hopes that it would split the file as necessary, but I got the same
error.

Anyone have any clues or advice?

Thanks,
Chris