hostname and dhcp

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Mon Feb 16 11:57:09 PST 2004

Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> writes:

> "Evan Dower" <evantd at hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hmm... That is what I expected it to do, but when I tried it, I ended
> > up with an empty hostname. Of course, I don't remember now if I
> > commented out that line or just set it to empty. Actually, looking at
> > /etc/defaults/rc.conf I see that if I comment it out in /etc/rc.conf
> > it gets set to the empty string in the default, so it shouldn't
> > matter. Anyway, like I said, I tried that and just ended up with an
> > empty hostname. Perhaps that indicates something is wrong with my
> > configuration...
>
> Well, I didn't *try* it, I just read through dhclient-script.
> I'll try to take a closer look.

I checked it out on my home network, and found that my DHCP server
wasn't sending the hostname back at all.  I am running my own DHCP
server (using the ISC port), so I configured it to do that (with the
"get-lease-hostnames" option).  If you don't run your own server, you
can't do anything about that, so if you want your hostname set to the
correct FQDN, you'd need to do a reverse lookup on the IP address you
found.