spam removal

Gary gv-list-freebsdquestions at mygirlfriday.info
Mon Feb 16 10:23:59 PST 2004

Hi David,

On  Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:53:40 -0800 UTC (2/16/2004, 11:53 AM -0600 UTC my time), David Brinegar wrote:

D> Bounce messages are typically not good enough to avoid this.  The
D> other day a client tried to send an e-mail that exceeded my ISP's
D> limit and was told something like "mailbox is full" and had no idea
D> that the mailbox was empty but for their gigantic message.  Thank
D> you qmail.

D> Funny enough, they just assumed it was another of those DNS blocks and
D> had nothing to do with my mailbox, so I suppose they've grown weary of
D> these DNS blocked messages.

They did not bother to read the email.

[snip]

D> chops that off cleanly.  The trick is to make sure that the
D> rejection message is helpful to someone who might bother to read it.
D> A bunch of numbers and "hello my name is qmail" doesn't cut it.

I'm sorry, but have you ever used qmail as a server? It delivers a bounce
called QSBMF, and to my knowledge is the only MTA that does. The bounce has
4 parts, a short intro paragraph, one or more recipient paragraphs, a break
paragraph, and a copy of the original message. The recipient paragraph tells
you why it was bounced, in human readable terms. e.g "Sorry, no mailbox here
by that name." BTW, qmail does not impose mailbox limits. Your ISP must be
using some associated program.

--
Gary

Succeed in spite of management.