FreeBSD and sendmail...

Ed Budd ebudd at grokking.org
Thu Feb 12 05:38:02 PST 2004

Jason:

Keep in mind that the "bat book" is the definitive reference on sendmail
but also written to cover the widest possible user base as far as OS is
concerned. Keep it handy and refer to it often for getting to know all
the available options, rulesets, header formats, etc. but read it with
this in mind.

What you really want is FreeBSD-specific information. For that, as
always, refer to the FreeBSD Handbook. I
believe it has almost a step-by-step on "smtp authentication" using
cyrus-sasl. I've also found the cyrus website
(http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus) to be very helpful in understanding the
relationship between it and sendmail. Also, take a peak at the
www.sendmail.org. If I recall correctly, the FAQ has some useful
information on authentication using sendmail.

Having done this myself the best advice I can offer is really take the
time to read the directions carefully over a couple cups of coffee (or
whatever your preferred poison) -- take your time with it.

Good luck

EB