FDISK Can Not Find FreeBSD Drive

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Mon Feb 9 18:52:01 PST 2004

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 14:55:41 +0000, Peter Risdon <peter at circlesquared.com>
wrote:

[snip]
> No, Windows can't understand the filesystem there so it treats the drive
> as though there were no filesystem on it. It's not anything FreeBSD is
> doing. It's a lack of support in Windows for common filesystems.
>
>> and how would I go about FDISKing the drive in the future should I
>> desire.
> Don't. FreeBSD does not need you to run an equivalent of FDISK. As
> mentioned above, there is something called fdisk in FreeBSD and you'd
> should avoid it until you understand the issues better.

FreeBSD, OTOH, can see your WinME disk.  When you've learned what FreeBSD
calls your disks, try the following as root or superuser, assuming you
have an empty directory called /mnt:

# mount_msdosfs [name of WinME location, perhaps /dev/ad0s1] /mnt

# ls /mnt

When you're done:

# umount /mnt

For more info, as root, superuser, or regular user:

$ man mount

FreeBSD can not only read your WinME disk, it can write to it, so be
careful not to make unintentional changes.

Jud