cdburn question.

Jeff Elkins bsd at elkins.org
Sun Feb 8 19:26:56 PST 2004

On Sunday 08 February 2004 6:46 pm, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Jeff Elkins <bsd at elkins.org> writes:
> > On Sunday 08 February 2004 2:38 pm, r.w.h wrote:
> > > Hello iam somewhat new to freebsd.
> > > i come to findout that cdrecord does not work with ide cdrws under
> > > freebsd.
> > >
> > > my question is seein how i have such a hard time with burncd.
> > > is thier a frontend kinda like gcombust handles cdrecord.
> > > someone said try cdbakeoven but iam seein it uses kde and i don't have
> > > kde installed on this box.
> > >
> > > basicly i have always had a problem with using burncd from the cmd
> > > line.
> > >
> > > thanks for any help.
> >
> > Go to the handbook and read: 12.5.9 Using the ATAPI/CAM Driver
> >
> > Once you recompile your kernel with cam support, you'll be able to use
> > cdrecord with ATAPI devices. It works fine here.
>
> Although if burncd isn't working, it's likely that the same problem
> will affect cdrecord.  Trying cdrecord instead is trying to attack the
> symptoms rather than the actual problem.

I must have missed burncd being broken for this user. I read the post as
coming from someone who understood cdrecord, but had problems learning/using
burncd.  I'm a FreeBSD newbie also, and didn't even take the time to look at
burncd. By enabling the cam driver I'm able to use cdrecord which I'm quite
familiar with.

Just trying to help :)

Jeff