Starting two instances of bind - method?

Tony Frank tfrank at optushome.com.au
Sun Feb 8 02:57:06 PST 2004

Hi there,

On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 01:45:10PM -0500, Chad M Stewart wrote:
> I want to run two instances of Bind 9 on the same box.  Both will be
> chrooted and have their own IPs.  At some point I may choose to put
> them in jails, but for now no.  One step at a time. :)
>
> I'm wondering what suggestions people might have for getting each
> started up during the normal boot process.  I see the options in
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf and could put my own stuff in /etc/rc.conf but as
> far as I can tell that would only work for a single instance.  How
> would I get the other instance to start up?   The same binary can be
> used for both, just different configuration files and chroots.

Your biggest issue is that unless you are using separate IP for each
instance of bind, you will have problems as both will by default
need to use port 53 for DNS service.

Perhaps you want to investigate the use of Bind9 view function
which lets you show different data to different clients.

The ISC homepage for bind is an excellent resource:
http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/bind/

As is the "DNS and BIND" book by Albitz & Liu from Oreilly.

Regards,

Tony