struggling with hylafax installation

Jeff Gardner freebsd at newgalaxy.net
Sat Feb 7 22:00:36 PST 2004

Alex Teslik wrote:
> Oy, the second post to questions in the same day :(
>
> So, I bought new modem and got it "working", but only kind of - the modem is
> not echoing commands back to the 'cu' or 'ppp' terminals. It is a USRobotics
> 5610B 56K Pro Modem. It is not winmodem and the system put it on sio2.

Is this an internal or external modem?

> I made all the devices in /dev eventhough they already existed.
>
> I added a direct line to the modem in /etc/remote like:
> cuaa2:dv=/dev/cuaa2:br#57600:pa=none
>
> I can connect to the modem like:
> cu -l /dev/cuaa2
> or
> tip cuaa2
> or
> ppp (then 'term')
>
> I can type commands and see them. I type ATDT1234567 and the modem picks up
> and dials. So I know it hears and understands me. But it never echoes back
> result information. I never see an "OK" or anything from the modem in the
> terminal.

So you get nothing when you type 'AT' followed by enter with nothing else?

> The problem is that HylaFAX relies on these echo results to control its
> communication with the modem. It is looking for those "OK"s. Does anyone have
> any ideas on how to get the "OK"s working? I have gone through all of the AT
> commands USR documents and I can't get anything. Is this a problem with 'cu'
> or 'ppp' or 'tip'? The results are obviously going somewhere, but I don't know
> where.

And this makes me ask my first question.  Is this internal or external?

> The AT command set for this modem is documented (USR issues the same document
> for all their modems - this is an online version from another model instead of
> a PDF version that is posted with my specific model, but they are the same) here:
> http://www.usr.com/support/839/83909-ug/six.html
>
> This should turn on all echos (but does not):
> ATQ0 E1 F0

These should at least get the result codes you need.  Maybe try an at&f1
which is Load Factory 1, HW FC and see if that gets the OK working.  The
only thing I could do to mine to turn of the OK is Q1.

Jeff