5.1 & telnet

Darryl Hoar darryl at osborne-ind.com
Fri Feb 6 08:07:42 PST 2004

Greetings,
I have tried to get putty configured to access my 5.1 release box using
SSH.  No joy, and I'm quite tired of trying.

I tried to enable telnet on my 5.1 box.  Uncommented inetd.conf line, and
verified that the services line was in place.   I tried to connect to the
box
with telnet and got a connection refused.  Even rebooted the box with the
same result.

I am accessing this box on my internal network, and my firewall blocks
the telnet port, so I'm not worried about outside access.  So, telnet will
get me by for now.

Any ideas what's wrong ?

BTW, searched the mailing list archives on freebsd.org , but didn't find
info about this.

thanks,
Darryl