Good comments

lee slaughter lee at slaughters.com
Thu Feb 5 10:32:09 PST 2004

Simon Barner wrote:

>Hi,
>

>>                 I just bought BSDfree version 5.1 because I had very good
>>comments about your operating system. Our company is planning to use as a NAT
>>server . I want to know where can I take some courses to have at least the
>>basics that it looks to be an awesome operating system.
>>

>For a production system, the 5.x branch of FreeBSD (sic!) is not quite
>ready yet, so you should better go with FreeBSD 4.9 (FreeBSD 4.x is the
>so-called stable branch at the present).
>
>If you insist in deploying FreeBSD 5.x, please note that FreeBSD 5.2 is
>already out.

I too bought shrink-wrapped 5.1 CD set from bookstore and now have it
running pretty well.
I really don't feel like re-installing it already but the implication is
that if you (unwittingly) installed a -CURRENT, you need to keep it up,
i.e. go  today to 5.2, etc.....

I don't wanna do that. I'm newbie and my box is  production-prone and I
don't want bleeding edge and too ignorant to be in the -CURRENT branch.

So....  are we recommended to go to 4.9-STABLE?  (implying no updates
until next -STABLE comes out?

What are the dire consequences of staying with 5.1 until 5-STABLE comes
out... and not  always upgrading?

tks..... this is a great os and a great support group, btw.

lee slaughter