gnupg and multiple keyrings

Anton Alin-Adrian aanton at reversedhell.net
Thu Feb 5 09:41:48 PST 2004

Tom Parquette wrote:
> Hi.
> I've been playing with gnupg trying to get comfortable with it.
> I've looked at the man pages and I have also read the O'Reilly PGP book.
> I searched the FreeBSD mailing lists and I didn't find anything.
>
> I'm trying to create multiple public key rings because of statements in
> the PGP book about performance problems with single, large, public key
> rings.
>
> To test, I created a normal public key ring then I tried to create a
> FreeBSD public key ring using the --keyring FreeBSD option to GPG.
>
> No matter what I do, everything seems to end up in the single public key
> ring.
>
> Can someone help me understand this behaviour?
> TIA...

> !DSPAM:40227915430421607316573!

 From gpg's man pages:

--show-keyring     Causes --list-keys,  --list-public-keys,  and
--list-secret-keys  to  display the name of the keyring a given key
resides on. This is only useful when you're listing a specific key or
set of keys. It has no effect when listing all keys.

--keyring file     Add  file  to  the  list  of keyrings.  If file
begins with a tilde and a slash, these are replaced by the HOME
directory.If the filename does not contain a slash, it is assumed to be
in the GnuPG home directory ("~/.gnupg" if --homedir  is  not used).
The filename may be prefixed with a scheme:
                   "gnupg-ring:" is the default one.
It  might  make  sense  to use it together with --no-default-keyring.

Make sure there is not file path mangling/confusion.

Maybe try using gpa or kgpg from the ports.

I did not try anything like that. That's all I can think of.

Regards,
Alin.