Freebsd 4.9, 5.1 & 5.2

William Segars wcsegars at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 2 19:48:07 PST 2004

Gentleman and Ladies:

I am having trouble with freebsd 4.9, 5.1, and 5.2.
Neither of them recognizes my printer or floppy drive.
 I am a BSD novice and use KDE as a graphical
interphase.

1) I have a Canon BJC-210.  I have downloaded and
installed Cups, Aspfilter, asfilter, ghostscript etc
and none of these recognizes my printer.

I get this message on bootup
ppc0: (parallel port) at port 0x378-0x37F irq 7 on ISA
ppbus0: (parallel portbus) on ppc0
1pt0: (printer) on pp bus 0
pp0: (parallel I/O) on ppbus 0

However it doesn't seem to know my printer is there
when I try to print.

2) I get this message at bootup
fd0: (1440-kb 3.5 drive) on fdc drive 0

However, I can't access the floppy drive.  When I
create an Icon and put the path /dev/fd/fd0. I can't
access the floppy.

3) I use efax and have kdefax and tkfax as my
frontend.
My modem is configured in kde as cuaa0.  Efax uses
"modem" as a default.  How can I change it to cuaa0.
In the execution file at /usr/local/bin/fax - it has a
line that says
DEV=modem
#DEV=cuaa1
when I change it to #Dev=cuaa0 - it makes no
difference.
The only way I have found around this is to go to
/dev/cuaa0 (using graphical interphase) - pull it out
to my desktop and using link application.  I change
the name to "modem" and put it back (there is now both
a cuaa0and modem in /dev.  Then I'm able to send
faxes.  However, there is no way to save this
configuration and when I turn off my computer it
resets to the original settings

I have been a Linux user for many years.  The
port/packages system that BSD uses is far superior to
RPM's or any other linux systems (with the possible
exception of aptget for Debian which I have never
used).  I'd like to keep Freebsd as my operating
system of choice but I need to get these problems
solved.

Thank you in advance for your help.

William Segars