Wine 20041201 on FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE

Jim Durham jimd at nepinc.com
Fri Dec 31 07:43:41 PST 2004

On Wednesday 29 December 2004 12:05 am, Matthew Bluestone wrote:
> (I apologize for replying to jason henson rather than the list; either
> his reply-to was set individually, gmail doesn't correctly respect
> reply-to (though it seems to in other cases), or I made an error.)
>
> Some of my response to jason and his later reply are included.
>
> > > (I didn't think that was so clear from the page.)  I applied the
> > > patch, rebuilt, and installed my kernel, and I continue to get the
> > > same error.
>
> [snip]
>
> > > # patch <filename
> > > and got normal-looking messages about discarding junk headers and
> > > footers and applying patches in two spots.  I checked the source file
> > > /usr/src/sys/vm/vm_mmap.c and found the appropriate sections updated.
> > > I had also edited a custom kernel config file in preparation for
> > > building a custom kernel anyway, and I did
> > > # cd /usr/src
> > > # make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNELNAME
> > > # make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNELNAME
> > > (substituting the appropriate name, of course).
> > > The commands finished successfully, and I rebooted and got a
> > > functioning system without a hitch.
> >
> > Looks like you did the right patch command.
>
> [snip]
>
> > Ok, first Kris responded to the thread with "It also clearly states (in
> > the followup) that the kernel patch is no longer needed."
> >
> > Sounds like what Kris was saying was you just needed to cvsup your
> > ports system and not do the patch anymore.
> >
> > "The wine-mmap.patch is no longer needed since that code has been
> > #ifdef'd=20 out in the wine CVS."
> >
> > So you could just rm vm_mmap.c and cvsup your source then update your
> > system and kernel.  Depending on hold old your release is you should
> > read UPDATING very carefully.
>
> As I said in my original post, my ports tree was updated the day
> before I tried all that (which is well after the bug is listed as
> being closed).  Since I have apparently the latest port of wine and
> have tried both with and without the kernel patch, I'm at a loss.  I
> thought this may be an issue with common enough components that
> somebody on this list might have encountered and solved the same
> problem.
>
> I figured that maybe I had misunderstood about the kernel patch no
> longer being needed; maybe it was merged into CURRENT, but I'd have to
> do it myself with my 5.3-RELEASE system.
>
> Incidentally, if I should *undo* this patch (I'm not a kernel hacker;
> it intuitively seems that messing with the virtual memory manager,
> esp. w/ code marked "this is messy; somebody who knows what he's doing
> should fix it", could be a bad idea), I'd appreciate somebody's
> letting me know.
>
> > Try emailing gerald at FreeBSD.org, he's the port maintainer for wine.
>
> I will also email gerald directly.  Thank you.

I have basically the same setup (5.3 patchlevel 2 and Wine 120104) and get the
same error.

However, strangely enough, the error shows up on some apps that actually run.
I was able to run Mozilla's Sunbird calendar program with no apparent errors
on-screen, but , if I start it from a terminal window I see the heap error,
but it runs anyway...

I looked at the vm_mmap.c in the latest sources and the patch would not apply,
so I assume the code has been merged, but couldn't really verify that. I
searched for some of the variables from the patch and they weren't in the
file.  So, now I'm really confused as to what  needs to be done.

-Jim Durham