NDIS (for Netgear WG311) How-To?

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Wed Dec 29 21:01:58 PST 2004

On Dec 29, 2004, at 10:17 PM, Eric F Crist wrote:

> On Dec 29, 2004, at 10:10 PM, Eric F Crist wrote:

>>> What have you got it to do so far, what command did you use, what
>>> drivers did you use, any output you could post?
>>>
>>> I used the man page and it was pretty easy, I just used the man page
>>> for the command syntax and what files I would need.  Didn't have to
>>> read much beyond that, but I did anyway.
>>
>> Well, here's what I've done so far:
>>
>> 1) Copied the netwg311.sys and wg311v2.inf files frome the Windows
>> 2000 folder from the distribution CD-ROM.
>>
>> 2) Ran ndiscvt -i /home/ecrist/wg311v2.inf -s
>> /home/ecrist/netwg311.sys -o ndis_driver_data.h as root
>>
>> 3) Copied ndis_driver_data.h to the /usr/src/sys directory.
>>
>> 4) Added the following lines to my custom kernel config (GROG)
>> 		options NDISAPO
>> 		device ndis
>>
>> 5) Ran (from /usr/src) make buildkernel KERNCONF=GROG
>>
>> 6) Ran (from /usr/src) make installkernel KERNCONF=GROG
>>
>> 7) Rebooted (no ndis0 listing in ifconfig output)
>>
>> Any idea what I did wrong?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> WAIT!  I've found something.  Here's a snippet from dmesg:
>
> ndis0: <NETGEAR WG311v2 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter> mem
> 0xec800000-0xec81ffff,0xed000000-0xed001fff irq 17 at device 14.0 on
> pci0
> ndis0: NDIS API version: 5.0
> NDIS: could not find file FwRad16.bin in linker list
> NDIS: and no filesystems mounted yet, aborting NdisOpenFile()
> ndis0: init handler failed
>
> Any ideas about that?
>
> Thanks.

I've figured out what files are missing, I just need to know where to
put them for NDIS to find them.  Can someone direct me, please?  It's
late, so tomorrow I'll start pulling apart code to figure it out.

I'll post a full how-to for this network card once I get this all
configured.  Thanks for your help.