NDIS (for Netgear WG311) How-To?

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Wed Dec 29 20:17:58 PST 2004

On Dec 29, 2004, at 10:10 PM, Eric F Crist wrote:

> On Dec 29, 2004, at 9:52 PM, jason henson wrote:
>
>> On 12/29/04 21:55:17, Eric F Crist wrote:
>>> Hello list,
>>> I'm looking at trying to get a new WG311 Netgear wifi adapter
>>> working, and have discovered that the v2 cards use the Texas
>>> Instruments chipset.  From what I understand, I need to get this
>>> working with the NDIS support in FreeBSD 5.3.  Is there a good
>>> document out there on how to get this working?  I've been farting
>>> around with the man pages and can't seem to get things right.
>>> Thanks for the help.
>>> Eric F Crist                  "I am so smart, S.M.R.T!"
>>> Secure Computing Networks              -Homer J Simpson
>> What have you got it to do so far, what command did you use, what
>> drivers did you use, any output you could post?
>>
>> I used the man page and it was pretty easy, I just used the man page
>> for the command syntax and what files I would need.  Didn't have to
>> read much beyond that, but I did anyway.
>
> Well, here's what I've done so far:
>
> 1) Copied the netwg311.sys and wg311v2.inf files frome the Windows
> 2000 folder from the distribution CD-ROM.
>
> 2) Ran ndiscvt -i /home/ecrist/wg311v2.inf -s
> /home/ecrist/netwg311.sys -o ndis_driver_data.h as root
>
> 3) Copied ndis_driver_data.h to the /usr/src/sys directory.
>
> 4) Added the following lines to my custom kernel config (GROG)
> 		options NDISAPO
> 		device ndis
>
> 5) Ran (from /usr/src) make buildkernel KERNCONF=GROG
>
> 6) Ran (from /usr/src) make installkernel KERNCONF=GROG
>
> 7) Rebooted (no ndis0 listing in ifconfig output)
>
> Any idea what I did wrong?
>
> Thanks.

WAIT!  I've found something.  Here's a snippet from dmesg:

ndis0: <NETGEAR WG311v2 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter> mem
0xec800000-0xec81ffff,0xed000000-0xed001fff irq 17 at device 14.0 on
pci0
ndis0: NDIS API version: 5.0
NDIS: could not find file FwRad16.bin in linker list
NDIS: and no filesystems mounted yet, aborting NdisOpenFile()
ndis0: init handler failed

Any ideas about that?

Thanks.