Does freeBSD have CORBA specs and does it have J2sdk1.4.2 ?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Mon Dec 27 23:42:26 PST 2004

The binary releases were version 1.3.1 not version 1.4.2.  Sun
recently changed the licensing terms and the FreeBSD Foundation,
who signed them the lst time, balked.  As a result Sun pulled
the binary distro for 1.3.1

This whole mess is tied up with royalty payments to Sun.  According
to what is reported on the street, the Java 2 Standard Edition
is supposed to be royalty free:

http://www.developer.com/java/other/article.php/618111

I cannot find any statement on the Sun site as to what Scott
claims in the article.  Instead, the current Sun Community
license, here:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/scsl_5.0-license.txt

has a spot for Royalty payments but no attachments anywhere
specify what those payments are.

I think what it boils down to is you have to e-mail Sun and
tell them what your doing and then they tell you if you owe
them royalties or not, and what license you use.

Once you figure that out, you download the source for the
JDK here:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/source_license.html

and compile it.  The current FreeBSD Java project mainly
works to make sure the Sun source can compile on FreeBSD,
although the are working with Sun to try to get another current
binary release available for download.

I don't know about CORBA you will have to try it and see.

Ted