Netgear MA111 wifi card with Project Evil

Nikolas Britton freebsd at nbritton.org
Sat Dec 25 21:09:20 PST 2004

Shahar Yuval wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to use my Netgear MA111 wireless USB card
>in FreeBSD.  As I understand, FreeBSD's wi module does
>not support it (OpenBSD's does).  Therefore, I decided
>to check out NDISulator ("Project Evil").
>I followed the instructions in the FreeBSD Handbook,
>installed ndis, ndiscvt, copied my Windows drivers and
>complied if_ndis.
>
>However, when I tried to load if_ndis, I got the
>following error message:
>
>link_elf: symbol ndis_set_info undefined
>
>and the module is not loaded.
>
>Someone apparently already ran into this problem:
>http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-June/028753.html
>
>and received the following response:
>http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-June/028783.html
>
>I speculate that perhaps if_ndis expects inf and sys
>files from a PCI/Cardbus card and not a USB one.
>
>I'd appreciate your assistance in getting the card to
>work.

Project Evil, Yes, That's what I'd call the netgear MA111. This is the
most flakiest POS I have ever see. Eventually I got so pissed at it that
I calmly unplugged it from the USB port and forcefully wiped it across
the room at a high velocity rate into the wall but it still worked after
this and denied me the satisfaction I was looking for, thus I have
blacklisted netgear. Here is a tip for any company in the networking
bizz, NEVER PISS A SYSADMIN OFF!!!! I wish you all the luck in the
world, and some anger management classes because after this your going
to need it.