Armada 17xx, ACPI thermal management broken.

Uwe Laverenz uwe at laverenz.de
Wed Dec 22 21:56:08 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 02:05:29PM -0600, Nikolas Britton wrote:

> How?, I added it to my kernel "device apm", "device pmtimer", and
> "device amp_saver" and rebuilt it and in rc.conf I added
> apm_enable="YES", apmd_enable="YES" and I greped though

I think you would also have to disable ACPI. This could be done by
adding hint.acpi.0.disabled="1" to /boot/device.hints.

> I want ACPI!, APM is a last ditch hack to me, the name says it all
> "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface" there is a reason they
> switched to it. The 440BX chipset has full support for ACPI and
> therefore should work with FreeBSD and is a critical problem, what do
> you think might happen if you disable all your fans on your computer???.

As I said: I might be wrong, but I think the Armada simply is too old
for a correct implementation of ACPI, it was build for APM. So, the
problem is not FreeBSD, it's the Armada.

> Please note that I'm not trying to diss FreeBSD in anyway for it being
> broken as I understand the issues with the DSDT, AML, and ASL stuff, I
> just want it to work.

Other system would also show this problem, the fan never starts to work
under Linux (tested FC3 a few weeks ago).

I really don't know if it's possible to get ACPI+FreeBSD 5.x+Armada 1750
to work, I can only say that it worked perfectly with FreeBSD 4.x
and APM. And I can say that FreeBSD+ACPI works great on newer notebooks
(evo N160, IBM Thinkpad...).

cu,
Uwe