Armada 17xx, ACPI thermal management broken.

Nikolas Britton freebsd at nbritton.org
Wed Dec 22 12:05:35 PST 2004

Uwe Laverenz wrote:

>On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 06:25:05AM -0600, Nikolas Britton wrote:
>

>>Any help would be appreciated on ether fixing this problem or a way to
>>use ACPI but disable the thermal monitoring so the system can control
>>the fan?
>>

>I might be wrong, but I think on the 1750 you should use APM instead of
>ACPI. I had a 1750 running with FreeBSD 4.x and APM and it worked very
>well.
>
>cu,
>Uwe

How?, I added it to my kernel "device apm", "device pmtimer", and
"device amp_saver" and rebuilt it and in rc.conf I added
apm_enable="YES", apmd_enable="YES" and I greped though
default/loader.conf for anything but found nothing, after rebooting the
only thing I get from dmesg is "WARNING: apm_saver module requires apm
enabled" and when I type in apm I get "apm: can't open /dev/apm: No such
file or directory", type in zzz and I get "apm: can't open /dev/apm: No
such file or directory"

I want ACPI!, APM is a last ditch hack to me, the name says it all
"Advanced Configuration and Power Interface" there is a reason they
switched to it. The 440BX chipset has full support for ACPI and
therefore should work with FreeBSD and is a critical problem, what do
you think might happen if you disable all your fans on your computer???.
Please note that I'm not trying to diss FreeBSD in anyway for it being
broken as I understand the issues with the DSDT, AML, and ASL stuff, I
just want it to work.