USB flash drive support/usage

Kenneth W Cochran kwc at TheWorld.com
Tue Dec 21 08:40:25 PST 2004

Hello:

I have some questions about the little USB flash drives...

Is there a FAQ or some documentation on them?  So far I haven't
found much in the Handbook or manpages.  Pointers welcome.  :)

Do I need any driver(s) besides umass(4) & its required kernel options?

Any differences between 4.x and 5.x support for them?

Apparently they come setup for a FAT32 filesystem - can I format
them for other filesystems (e.g. linux-ext2, BSD UFS/UFS2, MS
NTFS) & expect them to work reliably?

Assuming they work (well) with FreeBSD, how do I properly set
them up for UFS/UFS2?  Do I need to fdisk and {disk,bsd}label first?

Any favorite/least-favorite brands/models or recommendations as
to which one(s) to seek/avoid for use with FreeBSD?

Thanks,

-kc