apparent change in php4 port build procedure...

Joshua Lokken joshua.lokken at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 08:02:59 PST 2004

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:46:54 -0500, Bruce Campbell
<bruce at engmail.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> I'm upgrading to mod_php4-4.3.10
>
> In the past, the make procedure presented me with a detailed
> menu of options.  Now, it appears to just ask me these questions 3:
>
> - apache 1 vs 2
> - debug
> - ipv6
>
> and not all the other stuff like mysql, imap, and so forth.
>
> I can easily add the configure args I want to /usr/ports/lang/php4/Makefile, like
> this:
>
>                --with-mysql=/usr/local \
>                --with-layout=GNU \
>                --with-config-file-scan-dir=${PREFIX}/etc/php \
>                --with-zlib-dir=/usr \
>                --with-regex=php \
>                --enable-ftp \
>
> But I liked the old menu system, as it saved me figuring out
> the configure args.  Was there a reason to move away from that,
> or is there a new mechanism I am not aware of ?

from /usr/ports/UPDATING:
20040719:
AFFECTS: users of PHP
AUTHOR: ale at FreeBSD.org

The old lang/php4 and lang/php5 ports have been split
into 'base' PHP, PEAR, and shared extensions to allow
more flexibility and add new features.
Upgrading your current PHP installation will result in a
'base' PHP installation (no PEAR and no extensions).
PEAR can be found in the new devel/php4-pear and
devel/php5-pear ports, while the set of PHP extensions
to install can be choosen via the meta-ports
lang/php4-extensions and lang/php5-extensions, or installing
singular extensions individually.

The syntax may not be verbatim, as I pulled the snippet
from another posting, but there lies your answer ;)

--
Joshua Lokken
Open Source Advocate