-stable CORRECTION

James A. Coulter jacoulter at jacoulter.net
Sun Dec 19 19:31:01 PST 2004

James A. Coulter wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>
>> hi,
>> i currently installed 4.10-release and cvsup to get -stable but it
>> gave me
>> 4.11-prelease is there a current tag
>> that allow me to get 4.10-stable?
>> regards,
>> paul
>>
> The same thing happened to me.  After some googling, I found this:
>
> "RELENG_4 marks the 4-STABLE branch.  OS names along this branch
>     all have the major version number 4 but *aren't* tied to any
>     particular minor version number. Those change about every four
>     months.  Yes, a 4.8-STABLE OS did exist, for a few months after
>     4.8-RELEASE came out.  That was back between April and August
>     2003.  Then that code branch was successively relabelled (over the
>     course of a few weeks) as 4.9-PRERELEASE, 4.9-RC, etc. until for a
>     vanishingly short time it was technically 4.9-RELEASE and then
>     became 4.9-STABLE.  At which it remained until a few weeks ago
>     when it became 4.10-BETA, etc. etc. until right now, you get
>     4.10-STABLE.  4.10-RELEASE hasn't quite happened yet: any day now
>     though."
>
> http://www.atm.tut.fi/list-archive/freebsd-stable/msg17655.html
>
> I don't think we can go back to 4.10-STABLE using the stable branch tag.
>  4.10-STABLE has become 4.11-PRERELEASE and will soon become 4.11-STABLE
> itself (scheduled date is 24 January 2005 - release schedule here:
> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.11R/schedule.html)
>
> HTH
>
> Jim

Sorry, I spoke too soon.

Although I didn't find a procedure for it in the handbook, I read
appendix A.6, CVS Tags,in the FreeBSD handbook and decided to try
changing the default release tag from

	*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4

to:

	*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4_10

I then followed the make buildworld procedure in section 19.4 of the
handbook and I now have:

	jacoulter at arlette ~ 314$ uname -a
	FreeBSD arlette.mshome.net 4.10-RELEASE-p5 FreeBSD
  	4.10-RELEASE-p5 #1: Sun Dec 19 20:43:22 CST 2004
	jacoulter at arlette.mshome.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ARLETTE  i386

So you can go back to 4.10 if that's what you want, but 4.11 should be
everything 4.10 was and then some.

Jim

--
James A. Coulter