Sharing resources on LAN without NFS

Zane C. Bowers vvelox at vvelox.net
Wed Dec 15 11:38:18 PST 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:52:21 +1300
Ben Washington-Yule <benwy_01 at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> The handbook section on NFS was great but having only 3 computers I
> don't feel the need to set up a client/server system. Nevertheless I
>
> would like to be able to share one printer and one cd-writer between
>
> these 3 machines. I'll be grateful even for just a shove towards the
>
> correct handbook chapter where this is explained.

/me uses NFS for only two machines on his lan

Well sharing a device can be done using geomgate. The problem with
this making it play nicely... not more than one device can connect to
it with write privileges.

For this I would just use NFS and then ssh into that one machine and
burn it from there.

I would say NFS would be the simpleist solution... samba is workable,
but authentication with it is a total PITA as it does not play nicely
for using NIS or local authentication... only really supports LDAP and
a newer and older samba passwd storage... So if you are running NIS on
your lan, NFS is easy the way to go. For LDAP on the lan, I would say
it is your personal choice between Samba and NFS.

The handbook has a nice chapter on NIS and NFS.

For printing, I would suggest reading the chapter in the handbook. It
has some nice info on it. I would also suggest apsfilter, since it
makes drivers nice to work with. There is also CUPS if you don't want
to use the base lpd.