Sharing resources on LAN without NFS

Phil Schulz ph.schulz at gmx.de
Wed Dec 15 03:32:04 PST 2004

Ben Washington-Yule wrote:
> The handbook section on NFS was great but having only 3 computers I
> don't feel the need to set up a client/server system. Nevertheless I
> would like to be able to share one printer and one cd-writer between
> these 3 machines. I'll be grateful even for just a shove towards the
> correct handbook chapter where this is explained.

Ben,

maybe I'm overlooking sth obvious, but I think you'll always need a
client/server setup in this case. The server needs to serve the
resource, i.e. the printer or the CD-writer, to its clients, the other
PCs on your network.
If you are only running Unix-like operating systems on your PCs, I think
NFS is the simplest solution, provided that the network isn't directly
reacheable from the internet. If you need to share resources with
windows, you'll need to run samba.
It is all described in chapter 23 of the handbook.

Kind regards,

Phil.