master.passwd restoring from 4.10 to 5.3

John lists at reiteration.net
Fri Dec 10 17:53:24 PST 2004

Hello list

I have a system with around 50 user accounts on it. I'd like to avoid
having to reset passwords and recreate all accounts for the users. I am
backing up /home and /usr/local/www/. What I want to do is to blat the
old installation, install a basic 5.3 system, restore the dumps and make
a new passwd database from the old master.passwd.

Is it possible to restore/merge master.passwd across the revision boundary?
Do I have to do the same with /etc/groups?

thanks
--
John - jfm at reiteration.net - http://www.reiteration.net/~jfm
For PGP public key finger jfm at reiteration.net or see webpage