SGML, experienced advice wanted ;)

Peter N. M. Hansteen peter at bgnett.no
Sun Dec 5 14:21:40 PST 2004

William Fletcher <ultraviolet at turandot.net> writes:

> I was just wondering what precise piece of software I should use to convert sgml to PDF?
> Just sort of asking for a general opinion of what is the _best_
> software for this job, etc.

Do your sgml files come with DTDs and stylesheets? If so, it should be
possible to use something like jade/pdfjadetex for your transformations.
The FreeBSD doc project is an example of how this can be done. You might
want to at least browse http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/sgml.html and
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/index.html
(both contain quite a number of useful references).