/usr/local/etc/rc.d vs /etc/rc.conf question

Dick Davies rasputnik at hellooperator.net
Thu Dec 2 13:00:24 PST 2004

* Paul Schmehl <pauls at utdallas.edu> [1210 17:10]:
> --On Thursday, December 02, 2004 07:39:00 AM -0900 Andy Firman
> <andy at firman.us> wrote:
>

> >I just took over a FreeBSD box and there is a
> >proftpd.sh script in the /usr/local/etc/rc.d directory.
> >
> >There is also this entry in /etc/rc.conf:
> >proftpd_enable="YES"
> >
> >There is no need for entries in /etc/rc.conf
> >if the script exists in /usr/local/etc/rc.d right?
> >
> If you remove the /etc/rc.conf entry, you can still start the daemon
> manually (/usr/local/etc/rc.d/proftpd.sh start), but it will not start on
> boot.

No, that still won't work (which makes sense if you think about it, how would the
script know whether the system is booting or not?).

 If you read the link below, you should see that you need
to 'scriptname forcestart' etc if there is no service=YES in rc.conf.
Similarly 'forcestop' to shut it down.

--
Tempers are wearing thin. Let's hope some robot doesn't kill everybody. - Bender