/usr/local/etc/rc.d vs /etc/rc.conf question

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Thu Dec 2 09:10:24 PST 2004

--On Thursday, December 02, 2004 07:39:00 AM -0900 Andy Firman
<andy at firman.us> wrote:

> I just took over a FreeBSD box and there is a
> proftpd.sh script in the /usr/local/etc/rc.d directory.
>
> There is also this entry in /etc/rc.conf:
> proftpd_enable="YES"
>
> There is no need for entries in /etc/rc.conf
> if the script exists in /usr/local/etc/rc.d right?

If you remove the /etc/rc.conf entry, you can still start the daemon
manually (/usr/local/etc/rc.d/proftpd.sh start), but it will not start on
boot.

<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-rcng.html>

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer