Portmanager Crash

Michael C. Shultz ringworm at inbox.lv
Fri Aug 27 18:13:14 PDT 2004

On Friday 27 August 2004 6:54 am, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 05:26:47AM -0400, Gerard Seibert wrote:
> > I followed Matthew Seaman's instructions, except that there was no
> > 'portmanager.core' file created. The file that was created was
> > 'pmStatus.core'. I assume that is the file that I am to work with.
> >
> > In any event, I ran 'portmanager' to create the core dump, Next I ran
> > 'gdb' which produced the following output:
> >
> > root at rcn
> > $gdb
> > /usr/ports/sysutils/portmanager/work/portmanager-0.2.0/portmanager/portma
> >nager -c pmStatus.core
> > GNU gdb 5.2.1 (FreeBSD)
> > Copyright 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> > GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you
> > are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> > conditions. Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
> > There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for
> > details. This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd"...
> >
> > warning: core file may not match specified executable file.
> > Core was generated by `pmStatus'.
> > Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
>
> Well, knowing which program is actually dumping core is progress of a
> sort.  However, you do need to match the binary being debugged
> aganinst the generated core file, or the backtrace will unfortunately
> be meaningless.  There should be a pmStatus binary somewhere under
> /usr/ports/sysutils/portmanager/work/portmanager-0.2.0 that you can
> use.
>
>  Cheers,
>
>  Matthew

Mathew, thanks for Gerard the tips, I should have replied sooner but am
busy with another project.  The output he sent I think will work.  I found
FreeBSD current is very picky about malloc compared to stable, though
I tracked down and corrected most malloc routines I probable missed something
and his output points to a routine (PMGRrDbCreate) that I don't remember
checking.  I'll get back at working on portmanager tonight and perhaps
tomorrow and should have a fix maybe by tomorrow evening. Thanks again for
helping him!

-Mike