Portmanager Crash

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Aug 27 06:55:05 PDT 2004

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 05:26:47AM -0400, Gerard Seibert wrote:
> I followed Matthew Seaman's instructions, except that there was no
> 'portmanager.core' file created. The file that was created was
> 'pmStatus.core'. I assume that is the file that I am to work with.
>
> In any event, I ran 'portmanager' to create the core dump, Next I ran 'gdb'
> which produced the following output:
>
> root at rcn
> $gdb /usr/ports/sysutils/portmanager/work/portmanager-0.2.0/portmanager/portmanager
> -c pmStatus.core
> GNU gdb 5.2.1 (FreeBSD)
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
> This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd"...
>
> warning: core file may not match specified executable file.
> Core was generated by `pmStatus'.

Well, knowing which program is actually dumping core is progress of a
sort.  However, you do need to match the binary being debugged
aganinst the generated core file, or the backtrace will unfortunately
be meaningless.  There should be a pmStatus binary somewhere under
/usr/ports/sysutils/portmanager/work/portmanager-0.2.0 that you can
use.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way