Do I need to setup an IP Alias

Abid Saigol abid at saigol.biz
Fri Aug 13 14:17:40 PDT 2004

Hi,

I am setting up a FBSD 5.2.1 box for use as an HTTP/SMTP server in a small office.

We have a ADSL internet connection served through a Linksys router setup as the primary gateway on IP 192.168.1.1.  Our ISP has allocated a non-filtered fixed IP address to us.  I have set-up the FreeBSD box with a fixed IP of 192.168.1.50 subnet 255.255.255.0, and configured the router to place the server in the DMZ, i.e. direct all incoming traffic to it.

My question is should I setup the FBSD machine to recognize the fixed internet IP address allocated to us by the ISP as an Alias on the interface card?  Everything seems to work fine even I don't do this.

Thanks for any advice.

Abid