Looking for commercial code gone open source

Paul Mather paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu
Fri Aug 13 13:41:59 PDT 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 13:10:22 +0100, Jonathon McKitrick
<jcm at FreeBSD-uk.eu.org> wrote:

> Does anyone know where there are any web-accessible examples of large or
> medium sized commercial software products that have been open sourced?
>
> I'd like to see some examples of code that were not written from the
> beginning with the intention of being open source.

OCLC's SiteSearch was commercial but has now been turned over to the
open source community.  It is at http://opensitesearch.sourceforge.net
(SiteSearch is a Z39.50-enabled digital library/OPAC application.)

It also seems like Firebird (/usr/ports/databases/firebird) started life
as the commercial database InterBase.

Cheers,

Paul.
e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu