Newbie Sendmail Question

User Shane shane at random.randomwords.ca
Tue Apr 27 14:39:27 PDT 2004

> From owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org Tue Apr 27 15:26:29 2004
> From: "dps" <dan at i-tds.net>
> To: <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
> Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 16:17:02 -0500
> Subject: Newbie Sendmail Question
>
> I have somewhat of an easy question regarding sendmail.  I'm sure the
> solution is easy, but I just can't seem to figure out what is going on.
>
> First off, I want to say that I have sendmail installed, and it works
> properly.  I can send and recieve e-mail from the box no problem.
>
> Basically, my problem has to do with outgoing mail... When I send outgoing
> mail, it shows up as being from "User LOGIN" and the host is
> "dps.sockthief.com".  dps.sockthief.com is the hostname returned when typing
> "hostname" from the command prompt.
>
> Here is a partial listing for my zone file for named:
>
> $TTL 3600
> @                       SOA     ns.sockthief.com. dps.sockthief.com.   (
>                                 2004041203
>                                 3600
>                                 7200
>                                 604800
>                                 86400
>                                 )
>                         NS      ns.sockthief.com.
>                         NS      ns2.sockthief.com.
>                         MX      10 mail.sockthief.com.
>                         A       65.75.178.150
> ns                      A       65.75.178.150
> dps                     A       65.75.178.150
> mail                    A       65.75.178.150
>
> Also, here is:
>
> dps# cat /etc/mail/local-host-names
> sockthief.com
> mail.sockthief.com
>
> As you can see, sockthief.com, dps.sockthief.com, mail.sockthief.com are all
> bound to the same IP.  So basically, my questions are this:
>
> 1) When I send outgoing mail, how do I get the source address to appear as
> just sockthief.com as opposed to dps.sockthief.com?
>
> 2) My user name when i login is "dps" in just all lowercase, but for some
> reason, on the inbox of the person I'm sending mail to, it shows up as being
> from "User DPS".  Is there a way to change this on a global basis?
>
> Sorry if I am was unclear, I'm not used to posting to this list yet.
> Hopefully I gave enough information, however if you have any more questions
> or need clarification, feel free to write me back. Cheers!
>
> ~Dan

Hi Dan,

As you can see from the message header I can sympathize with you!
I know that part of the problem has to do with your email client.

If you are using 'mail' (like I am right now) then you get this problem.

Try editing your .mailrc file to have the correct "reply-to" address.

There are probably .rc files which control the behavior of your mail client if
you're using Pine, Mutt etc.

When I use Evolution and other gui clients, this doesn't seem to be a problem.

Shane