Perl Help For Newbie

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Mon Apr 26 10:14:00 PDT 2004

On 4/26/2004 10:07 AM Aaron Peterson wrote:

>>Any guidance as to the best way to approach this task would be most
>>appreciated.  I've
>>done lots of reading but haven't found anything that teaches me how to
>>"think" about
>>building this script.
>>

>probably the best way to approach this is writing a script to generate the
>complete html in multiple formats instead of writing a script to search
>through html to find values, calculate, and replace.  what i mean, is if
>you had a single file with the US dollar values for everything, then you
>wrote a script that used those values to generate complete html pages
>(doing whatever conversions you needed in the process), that would
>probably be easier than searching through pre-existing html and doing
>substitution via regex.  then in the future you would only have to change
>prices in one place and re-run the script, or change the conversion
>algorithm and rerun the script to get all new html pages.  (html, xml and
>other markup is notoriosly difficult to regex)

This makes sense but how would I keep the files "in sync".  I mean how
would I be sure that $xx.xx amount corresponded to y product?  Would it
just "work" because each entry in the description array would have a
corresponding entry in the price array?  My fear is getting off by one
and then having every entry after that be incorrect.  Is this a big risk?

Thanks for your reply.  I know I have a lot to learn.

Drew