Perl Help For Newbie

Aaron Peterson aaron at alpete.com
Mon Apr 26 10:03:30 PDT 2004

> Any guidance as to the best way to approach this task would be most
> appreciated.  I've
> done lots of reading but haven't found anything that teaches me how to
> "think" about
> building this script.

probably the best way to approach this is writing a script to generate the
complete html in multiple formats instead of writing a script to search
through html to find values, calculate, and replace.  what i mean, is if
you had a single file with the US dollar values for everything, then you
wrote a script that used those values to generate complete html pages
(doing whatever conversions you needed in the process), that would
probably be easier than searching through pre-existing html and doing
substitution via regex.  then in the future you would only have to change
prices in one place and re-run the script, or change the conversion
algorithm and rerun the script to get all new html pages.  (html, xml and
other markup is notoriosly difficult to regex)