ports question

Alex de Kruijff freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl
Wed Apr 21 16:31:01 PDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 03:01:16PM +0300, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 20:32:58 +1000
> "sAndri Kok" <freebsd_list at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  Hi guys,
> >
> >  I got some questions about ports. Say If I have 2 identical machines.
> >  1 machine running FreeBSD-4.8 and the other is running FreeBSD-5.2.1.
> >  I run cvsup on both machines using the default ports supfile given in
> >
> >  /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile which points to the same
> >  cvsup mirror. Will I then get the same ports on both of the machines?
> >

> You will get the same ports skeleton (files in /usr/ports/*).

No, that can not be garanteed! Unleas, offcourse, he specified the date.
This is because the command is not executed at the same date.

Instead you could copy simply copy the ports from one computer to
another with nfs, ftp, scp, rsync, ect. This garantees you that your
ports are the same and it save you and the community some bandwith.

> > And if I do get the  same ports, can I build it as a package on 1 machine
> > and then install  it on the other?
>
> No.
>
> $ diff /usr/ports/INDEX /usr/ports/INDEX-5

You don't need the ports to install packages. However I'm not to sure if
this change the answer. It could very well depend on the port/package in
question. If you want to play it safe then don't.

A large number of packages are availble from the FreeBSD ftp server for
both 4 and 5. You may want to use those if you don't care about the
advantages that come with compiling.

--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use: