Rackmount Server recommendation

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Wed Apr 21 06:18:46 PDT 2004

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Doug Poland wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for recommendations on vendor/hardware for a rackmount
> server.  The intention is to run 4.9-STABLE and host e-commerce sites.
>
> Obviously, the vendor/hardware needs to support FreeBSD.  Specifically,
> I'm looking for 4-6 hot-swappable SCSI RAID support.

Alot depends on what you are looking for in the way of hardware, # of
CPUs, drives, etc ...

We've been buying Intel servers from our local distributor and have been
happy with both price and stability ... just spec'd out the SR1300
(2xXeon, 4G RAM, 3x36G drives, SRCZR Raid Controller) for ~$5.5kUS ...
prices vary somewhat, but we've checked various sources and they are all
in the same ball park ...

----