speed issues

Radu MOLNAR taipan at hawat.cc.ubbcluj.ro
Sun Apr 18 03:32:08 PDT 2004

Hello list
I have a freebsd 4.9 on my computer wich is conected to a 100Mbps network.
When downloading or uploading files from this freebsd using ftp a have
decent transfer rates (above 5 MB/s). But in this network we also use DC
for file sharing. And using the DC protocol i only get rates below 1MB/s
for upload or download.
I also get these messages in my first console:
Limiting icmp unreach response from 268 to 200 packets per second
Limiting icmp unreach response from 277 to 200 packets per second
Limiting icmp unreach response from 268 to 200 packets per second
Limiting icmp unreach response from 273 to 200 packets per second
Limiting icmp unreach response from 264 to 200 packets per second
Limiting icmp unreach response from 272 to 200 packets per second
Limiting icmp unreach response from 270 to 200 packets per second
Limiting icmp unreach response from 260 to 200 packets per second
Limiting icmp unreach response from 264 to 200 packets per second
Limiting icmp unreach response from 265 to 200 packets per second
Limiting icmp unreach response from 267 to 200 packets per second
Limiting icmp unreach response from 246 to 200 packets per second
Limiting icmp unreach response from 208 to 200 packets per second
Limiting icmp unreach response from 209 to 200 packets per second
Limiting icmp unreach response from 204 to 200 packets per second

i tried modifing the value of the sysctl variable net.inet.icmp.icmplim
from 200 to 1000 but it had no efect. Do I have to restart for changes to
take efect. Or what is the solution to my problem?
Thanks