question about SAMBA shared directory and file permissions

Peter Risdon peter at circlesquared.com
Sat Apr 17 02:03:31 PDT 2004

Anthony carmody wrote:

> Peter Risdon wrote:
>
>> freebsd.org at carmoda.com wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> i have been having problems with a SAMBA shared directory and user
>>> permissions. My smb.conf file is simple and allows for members of
>>> 'wwwdev' access the directory, and they can when i test it, but we
>>> get all kinds of problems with the permissions on various files and
>>> directories:
>>

>> It would help if you said exactly what those problems are.
>

> sure. i realised i didn't explain just after i sent the mail. doh!
>
> ok: i want really open access 'a-la-windows' style to all files under
> a certain directory tree to users in a particular group. at the
> moment, i am having to chown all files over to whom ever is editing
> them at any given time.

I was thinking more of what happens to file permissions when a file is
accessed by a samba user. Say they start at something like:

#ls -l

-rwxrw-r-x   1 pwr  wwwdev         637 Apr 17 09:01 testfile

So all members of the wwwdev group have write permission. After access
by user pwr do they change? Maybe to:

-rwxrw-r-x   1 pwr  pwr         637 Apr 17 09:01 testfile

>>> //////////////////////////////////////////////////////
>>> [wwwdev]
>>>     comment = Virtual Web Servers HTTP dirs
>>>     path = /usr/wwwdev
>>>     create mode = 0765
>>>     valid users = @wwwdev
>>> //////////////////////////////////////////////////////
>>

>> You might also need to set the directory mode on the share.
>

> cool, what would you suggest?

See below.

>>> i assume this is a ownership issue on the unix file system side,
>>> although i have opened up the permissions to 'pants down in public'
>>> level ....
>>>
>>> drwxrwxrwx
>>> -rwxrwxrwx
>>

>> So, what is the problem? Do these permissions and/or the file
>> ownerships get altered when accessed by a Windows client?
>

> i would have assumed that because the two users were in the same group
> they could access the same files in turn without chown-ing.

There's a useful guide to configuring samba at:

http://hr.oregon.edu/davidrl/samba/server.html

And it deals with a similar configuration to the one you're seeking.

But working on a guess that your problem stems from the group flag of a
file being changed to that of the user who accesses it, you might try
adding:

create mode 0774  # Windows clients that seems to require the extra bit

directory mode = 0775 #so that new directories are created with the
right permissions

force group = +wwwdev  # so that all file activity is carried out as
this user

HTH.

PWR