question about SAMBA shared directory and file permissions

Anthony carmody anthony at carmoda.com
Sat Apr 17 01:10:10 PDT 2004

Peter Risdon wrote:
> freebsd.org at carmoda.com wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i have been having problems with a SAMBA shared directory and user
>> permissions. My smb.conf file is simple and allows for members of
>> 'wwwdev' access the directory, and they can when i test it, but we get
>> all kinds of problems with the permissions on various files and
>> directories:
>

> It would help if you said exactly what those problems are.

sure. i realised i didn't explain just after i sent the mail. doh!

ok: i want really open access 'a-la-windows' style to all files under a
certain directory tree to users in a particular group. at the moment, i
am having to chown all files over to whom ever is editing them at any
given time.

>> //////////////////////////////////////////////////////
>> [wwwdev]
>>     comment = Virtual Web Servers HTTP dirs
>>     path = /usr/wwwdev
>>     create mode = 0765
>>     valid users = @wwwdev
>> //////////////////////////////////////////////////////
>

> You might also need to set the directory mode on the share.

cool, what would you suggest?

>> i assume this is a ownership issue on the unix file system side,
>> although i have opened up the permissions to 'pants down in public'
>> level ....
>>
>> drwxrwxrwx
>> -rwxrwxrwx
>

> So, what is the problem? Do these permissions and/or the file ownerships
> get altered when accessed by a Windows client?

i would have assumed that because the two users were in the same group
they could access the same files in turn without chown-ing.