Beginner's question about csh/tcsh

Mike addymin at pacbell.net
Thu Apr 15 12:18:45 PDT 2004

Jerry McAllister wrote:

>>>It sounds like you are using an account with /bin/sh as a shell
>>>For example, unless you change it, root uses sh for a shell.
>>>
>>>////jerry
>>
>>Root uses csh by default.
>

> Well, I'll be darned.  It does now.

BTW.  I login as normal user and "su" to root for adminstrative tasks.

I checked what shell root was using and it was sh (/bin/sh).  So the
information on my first post was inaccurate.  My bad. I thought the
shell was csh.

So, I changed root's shell to csh.  The problem of no .history via up
and down arrows went away.  The arrow keys now access the .history file.

Strange.  Did I possibly do something to screw up the sh shell?

Michael Chinn