lament about freebsd sacrifices

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Thu Apr 15 02:52:31 PDT 2004

"Peter Leftwich" <Hostmaster at Video2Video.Com> writes:
> * webcam ball

see for instance /usr/ports/graphics/vid

> * flatbed scanner

see /usr/ports/graphics/sane-frontends

> * color printer

see for instance /usr/ports/print/cups

> * digital cameras

Most of those behave as USB mass-storage devices, see 'man umass'

> * firewire devices

see 'man firewire'

> * several USB 1 and 2 devices

Which ones?

> * IM software features such as voice and video chat

see /usr/ports/mbone/vic (though I haven't used it in six years)

> * websites that use ActiveX (Windows) controls

you'd be surprised how rare these are.

> * MP3 devices

Some of these use proprietary protocols, while others behave as USB or
Firewire mass-storage devices.  The latter are supported out of the
box.  For the former, there is for instance /usr/ports/audio/rio, or
/usr/ports/audio/rio500 (in conjunction with the urio driver).

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no