updating ports and pkgdb

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Apr 14 01:05:03 PDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 10:42:57AM +0930, bastill at adam.com.au wrote:

> Unfortunately, pkgdb -u does NOT rebuild from scratch, but simply refreshes
> itself from the directories in /var/pkg/db.
> Is there a way I could delete all those directories and make pkgdb go look and
> rebuild the db/directories from what it finds?

Errr... pkgdb builds a summary of the package data found in
/var/pkg/db.  That is the authoritative source of information on what
packages are installed on your system, which files belong to those
packages, and the dependencies between those packages.

If your complaint is that the package database pkgdb creates needs to
be rebuilt from nothing, then you can try:

    # pkgdb -fu

but that is very rarely needed, unless pkgdb.db is actually corrupted.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way