jumping mouse in X

tscheng at ic.sunysb.edu tscheng at ic.sunysb.edu
Tue Apr 13 18:55:56 PDT 2004

something I found in XFree86log file:
(**) Option "Protocol" "auto"
(**) Mouse0: Protocol: "auto"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Mouse0: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psm0"
(**) Mouse0: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(==) Mouse0: Buttons: 3
(II) Keyboard "Keyboard0" handled by legacy driver
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
(II) Mouse0: SetupAuto: hw.iftype is 3, hw.model is 0
(II) Mouse0: SetupAuto: protocol is SysMouse
(WW) fcntl(6, O_ASYNC): Inappropriate ioctl for device
is this causing the trouble?

Hi freebsd-er, I recently upgraded my m/board and finally get x-window to
work again but my mouse is all very jumpy, I seem to lose control over it
and very hard to make it stay on one position. I have been trying to see
what people have to say on the internet. Something I came across is that
the driver for vedio card might affect it. My cedio chip is ProSavageDDR
K4M266, I can't run x-win when using original FBSD driver, but after
installing a 3-rd party driver, I was able to get it up, and everything
looked the way I wanted it! But just this mouse, it went crazy. It's a
2-button ps/2 mouse, I tried "auto" or "ps/2" protocol in X config,
nothing changed, I tried to put some moused related stuff in /etc/rc.conf,
then I get a nice working mouse in my console, but my x-win won't start up
because the mouse device is "busy". Any help! thanks!

Eureka!

Best regards

Tsu-Fan Cheng
Department of Pathology