GeForce FX 5800 Ultra with Nvidia Drivers on 5.2

Shaun Friedle shaun at insipidity.co.uk
Tue Apr 13 10:50:24 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 17:14, Doug Poland wrote:
I built a custom kernel but can't tell you if that was required as I did that
> before disabling ACPI.

Well, if I disable SMP, I seem to be going in the right direction as
the machine no longer locks up.

> Unfortunately, I cannot disable ACPI on this ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe board
> as the kernel dumps on errors 9 every time.

Well, I'm obviously very unlucky since I have an Asus P4C800 Deluxe and get the
same thing! The message is:

Fatal trap 9: general protection fault while in kernel mode
instruction pointer	= 0x58: 0x2d5c
stack pointer		= 0x10: 0xf80
frame pointer		= 0x10: 0x0
code segment		= base 0xc00f000, limit 0xffff, type 0x1b
			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 0, gran 0
processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process		= 0 (swapper)
trap number		= 0
panic: general protection fault

> So for me, ACPI was the key.  If I could just get this bloody ASUS board
> to boot without ACPI I think I'd be in business.

I think you're right. After searching on Google for a while (as I am sure you have done)
I have found no solution.

> Good luck to you and I'd appreciate any info you have if successful.

I don't think I'm going to be able to solve this. Hopefully it will be fixed soon, apparently
the problem is "5.x has grown a regression in its handling of BIOS32 calls somehow". I found
that in this thread: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-March/023392.html

--
Shaun Friedle
shaun at insipidity.co.uk