5.2.1 : general protection fault without ACPI

Niraj Kumar niraj17 at iitbombay.org
Wed Mar 10 20:32:05 PST 2004

Hi ,

I  just installed 5.2.1 on my AMD Athlon 2600+  (Asus a7n8x-vm motherboard)
and my system was very unstable . Frequent crashes and lockups , so I
decided to
boot without ACPI . But when I selected to boot without ACPI (Second
option in
boot menu) , I got this general protection fault :

ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
ata1: [MPSAFE]
pcib2: <PCIBIOS PCI-PCI bridge> at device 30.0 on pci0
pci2: <PCI bus> on pcib2
pci_cfgintr: 2:0 INTA BIOS irq 11
pci2 : <display, VGA> at device 0.0 (no driver attached)

Fatal trap 9: genenral protection fault while in kernel mode
cpuid=0; apic id = 00
instruction pointer = 0x58:0x22ac
stack pointer       = 0x10:0xf80
fram pointer        = 0x10:0x0
code segment        = base 0xc00f0000 limit 0xffff type 0x1b
                    = DPL 0 , pres 1 , def32 0 , gran 0
Processor eflags = interupt enabled , resume , IOPL = 0
current process = 0 (swapper)
trap number = 9
cpuid = 0
uptime = 1s

Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on console to abort

So the result is that I am unable to boot with ACPI off and if I am
booting with ACPI
I have a very unstabe system . A dmesg output for normal boot (with
ACPI) can be found here :
http://niraj.4t.com/freebsd/

I am willing to provide more info , if I can understand how to get that
. The above
"general protection fault" message I had to copy by hand .

Niraj