I *really* need help PLEASE - buildworld failing on mkdeplibstdc++ can't find unwind.h but it *is* there

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Apr 12 13:03:31 PDT 2004

Paul Seniura wrote:
> [Some of the maillists including -current@ are
>  down at the moment.  I hope someone on this
>  list can help in meantime, please?]

I can confirm that your email is making it to the list, anyway...

> I've posted several msgs over the past two weeks
> stumbling on buildworld when using lang/gcc33.

...and I remember seeing these messages go by, too.  :-)

Trying to build -CURRENT with a compiler from a port rather than with the
default compiler is a wizard-mode operation (unfortuantely).  I suspect that
you would have better luck tracking RELENG_5_2 or RELENG_4.

If you want to experiment with a gcc from ports, try rebuilding a specific
application and benchmarking that before trying to do so with the entire
world.  If you wanted to perform a broader test, consider recompiling KDE and X11.

[ ... ]
 > PLEASE Help - I do not want to blow everything away
> and start completely over, as Da Bosses are looking
> rather stern that this project is taking way too long.

It is not clear to me what problem you are trying to solve by the activities
you are pursuing: perhaps you ought to install 5.2.1 or 4.9 from a .iso image
and get on with other tasks, and revisit the issue of recompiling world later?

--
-Chuck