Can't *write* to a hard disk, not even a slice using fdisk(8).

Julien Gabel jpeg at thilelli.net
Sun Apr 11 00:31:24 PDT 2004

> GEOM doesn't let you write to an active device, except if you set
> kern.geom.debugflags=16

Ok no problem, I changed it this way :
 # sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=16
 kern.geom.debugflags: 1 -> 16

But it seems to change *absolutly nothing*... :(

>>  # mount
>>  /dev/ar0s1a on / (ufs, local)
>>  devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
>>  /dev/ad8s1d on /home (ufs, local, nodev, noexec, nosuid, with quotas,
>>   soft-updates)
>>  /dev/ar0s1e on /tmp (ufs, local, nodev, nosuid, soft-updates)
>>  /dev/ar0s1f on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
>>  /dev/ar0s1d on /var (ufs, local, noexec, soft-updates)

> If ad8 is part of ar0 GEOM will try to keep you from shooting yourself
> on the foot. You should take ad8 out of the array first.

I don't think so, /dev/ad8 has no problem and is actually in active use.
Let me be more precise here:

The "system" (/, /tmp, /usr and /var) is mounted on a mirror represented
by /dev/ar0 made with /dev/ad4 and /dev/ad6.

The "data" (/home) was previously mounted on the device /dev/ar1 which was
made with /dev/ad8 and /dev/ad10.

Because /dev/ad10 seems to have a problem I made a backup, broke the
mirror seen as /dev/ar1 and simply put /home on /dev/ad8 - freshly
restored.

>> Because the problematic disk is not actually used, I can try some
>> commands on it if someone think it may be interesting.

> On the hardware side, you should look for some diagnostic tool from the
> manufacturer.

Ok, thanks.
--
-jpeg.