Newbie stuck with kernel config (well sysinstall seams to hang)

David Jones david_a_jones78 at yahoo.com.au
Fri Apr 9 21:39:03 PDT 2004

it dies when accessing the disk;

cd@ 0xff5c
disk@ 0xef68
    disk0:  BIOS drive A:
            disk0a: FFS
            disk0c: FFS
    disk1:  BIOS drive B
    disk2:  BIOS drive C

Any ideas?

 --- "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk at daleco.biz>
wrote: > David Jones wrote:

<snip>

> You *probably* should just "skip" the kernel
> config....all those
> drivers are legacy hardware (ISA stuff with jumpers for
> IRQ,
> etc...) It could be that skipping it would solve an issue
> or
> two, even.
>
> I certainly see nothing in your list below that FreeBSD
> can't handle with the GENERIC kernel ... it could be that
> fudging with kernel config is breaking GENERIC ....

The install hangs at this point (just before sysinstall
screen)

> Hmm, tell us about the CD ....

The CD or CDROM ;) ?
I've just booted a minimal install on vmware so the disk
seams ok.
I'll have to pull the cdrom out to find anymore about it.

> >I’m more experienced with redhat, and if I try booting
> that
> >in text mode it dies as soon as it tries to boot the
> >kernel.
> >

> That doesn't sound too good. Does removing various
> hardware components help at all?

There is nothing else to pull out except the floppy drive.

> >Thanks for any help at all,
> > Dave
> >
> >Hardware;
> >PentiumIII MMX 500MHz, 128Mb RAM
> >ATAPI CDROM (Secondary slave)
> >Seagate 3GB Generic IDE Disk Type46 (Primary master)
> >NEC Multisync XV15 monitor
> >
> >Standard PCI Graphics adaptor VGA (in AGP slot) – IRQ11
> >                                [vga0 0 0 ..
> > (I set this with “irq sc0 11”)  Sc0 0 irq11 flags
> 0x100]
> >
> >Hard disk controllers;
> >   Intel82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller – IRQ14
> >      Primary IDE Controller (dual fifo) – IRQ14
> >                                       [ata0 0x1f0
> irq14]
> >      Secondary IDE Controller (dual fifo) – IRQ15
> >                                       [ata1 0x170
> irq15]
> >
> >Compaq Standard 101/102-key Keyboard – IRQ1
> >                             [atkbdc0 0x60
> >                              atkbd0  0     irq1 flags
> 0x1]
> >
> >Standard serial mouse
> >
> >Floppy drive – IRQ6 [fdc0 0x3f0 irq6 drq2]
> >
> >Numeric data processor – IRQ13 [npx0 0xf0 irq13]
> >
> >Programmable interrupt controller – IRQ2
> >                                   [nothing assigned
> irq2]
> >
> >CMOS real time clock – IRQ8 [nothing assigned irq8]
> >
> >System timer – IRQ0 [unset irqs appear as 0]
> >
> >PCI to USB controller – IRQ12 [psm0 0 irq12]
> >

> >Additional info;
> >
> >Other drivers assigned irqs;
> >sio0 0x3f8 irq4
> >sio1 0x2f8 irq3
> >sio2 0x3e8 irq5
> >sio3 0x2e8 irq9
> >ppc0 0     irq7
> >
> >ed0  0x280 irq10
> >ie0  0x300 irq10
> >lnc0 0x280 irq10
> >sn0  0x300 irq10
> >
> >number of EISA slots to probe: 10
> >
> >BIOS;
> >Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
> >Award Plug and Play BIOS Extension v1.0A (PnP OS
> disabled
> >in BIOS).
> >
> >When booting the BTX info looks like this;
> >BIOS drive A: is disk0
> >BIOS drive B: is disk1
> >BIOS drive C: is disk2
> >BIOS drive C: is disk3  <---??
> >

> That last is a tad unusual ... is the HDD partitioned
> in two pieces?

Not as far as I can see in windows - just 3.2GB FAT32

http://au.movies.yahoo.com